South Sudan became an independent nation on 9th July 2011 when the country of Sudan was peacefully divided into two nations. South Sudan was welcomed as the 193rd member of the United Nations on 14th July 2011.
The decades of conflict have harmed the progress of South Sudan. To make matters worse, the country is prone to drought and floods.
Tell me something about South Sudan….
- The total population of South Sudan is 8.26 million
- The country borders Kenya, Ethiopia, Sudan, Central African Republic and the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC)
- The peace agreement was passed eight years ago, but the country still faces outbreaks of conflict
- Ethnic tensions are a serious problem in the country
- Infrastructure such as roads are very basic as South Sudan is a very young country